Satellite Images Indicate Iranian Navy and Atomic Facilities Struck by Joint US and Israeli Airstrikes.
A series of American and Israeli airstrikes has according to analysis destroyed or damaged a minimum of eleven Iran's navy ships starting the weekend, recently obtained orbital imagery demonstrate, with launch facilities and atomic facilities also being targeted.
Photographs of the southern Konarak naval naval base and the Bandar Abbas port installation, which is located on the strategic Hormuz Strait and contains the headquarters of the Iranian navy, depict smoke billowing from several vessels on recent days.
Maritime Fleet Incurred Major Losses
Included in the vessels destroyed was the Makran, Iran's largest naval vessel which had been used as a unmanned aerial vehicle platform. Orbital photos showed dark plumes emanating from the vessel which had been docked at the Bandar Abbas base.
Intelligence evaluations suggest that at least a quintet of warships at Bandar Abbas were "struck or destroyed". Photos of the southern part of the harbor depict smoke rising from the IRINS Makran, while two other vessels seem to be damaged, with one seen burning.
At Konarak, photos reveal several damaged vessels, with expert review pointing to impacts on six vessels. Photos from Monday also indicate that multiple facilities at the base have been leveled.
"For a long time the Iran's leadership has threatened global maritime traffic," a senior US military official declared. "At present, there is no Iranian vessel operational in the Persian Gulf, Hormuz Strait or Sea of Oman, and we will persist."
Some vessels reportedly destroyed may have been concealed in aerial photos by weather conditions or battle damage, or targeted offshore, and have not been independently verified. Additional information stated that one Iranian ship was going down near Sri Lankan territorial waters, leading to a rescue operation.
Missile Installations and Atomic Locations Attacked
Neutralizing Iran's rocket sites and the prevention of enrichment activities were declared as additional aims of the air campaign. Aerial imagery also depicted strikes on the southerly Khorgu base and northwestern Tabriz missile missile bases, and at the Konarak air air base, where rocket warehouses and fortifications were targeted.
At the Choqa Balk-e UAV facility west of the city of Kermanshah, widespread destruction was observed to sheds, underground facilities and UAV launching apparatus.
Damage was also noted at a surveillance station at the Zahedan airbase airbase in eastern Iran, close to the frontier with neighboring nations.
Of particular note, the new round of attacks have reportedly hit sites at Natanz – long said to be at the center of the country's atomic program. An international watchdog stated that the affected buildings were used for access to the site's below-ground enrichment facility and that "no release of radioactive material" was likely.
Wider Impact and Assessment
Defense experts stated that the attacks appeared to have "largely neutralized" the Iran's naval capacity to carry out traditional warfare using its largest warships. Nevertheless, it was noted that Tehran still has the ability to launch irregular strikes at sea through the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, midget subs and its so-called "shadow fleet" of tankers.
The overall scope of the destruction caused to Iran's defense facilities has yet to be fully assessed, with strikes said to be persisting. Photos also reveals extensive destruction to the command center of the the IRGC in the capital Tehran.
Numerous of civilian buildings also are reported to have been hit in the capital city and throughout the country since the fighting escalated. Reports of deaths from ground sources suggest that hundreds of non-combatants may have been fatally injured in the bombardment.
With the conflict ongoing, review of space-based data will continue to track the evolving battlefield picture.